The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
The Three Guns Public House      Rotherfield  

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1928Rotherfield - The Story of some Wealden Manors by Catharine Pulleinp. 301

Historical records

1671HistoryThe Three Guns Public HouseOur Village
The Three Gunns - Though no longer an inn but a greengrocers, the quaint chimneys of this old house in the High Street proclaims its former use and sign, 'The Three Gunns'. Its chimney stack takes the shape of three hooped cannon of the 15th or early 16th century, to which the old house belongs. It is a relic of the vanished iron industry of the district and the days when guns for the King's navy were founded at Hugget's Furnace and many other foundry in the neighbourhood. 'The Gunn' was then a frequent sign for Sussex village inns. The brickwork of four hundred years ago may be seen in the interior of this ancielnt dwelling.
The earliest date at which it can be identified in the Court Rolls is 1671, from which time its ownership is traced without a break till the Rolls end in 1814. It was held as a copyhold from 1671 to 1774
from Our Village, written and published by The Rotherfield History Research Group in 1979

7th Dec 1671Occupation OwnerAdam FarmerThe Three Guns Public HousePullein's Rotherfield

1671 to 1692Occupation OwnerRichard HutchisonThe Three Guns Public HousePullein's Rotherfield

1692 to 1736Occupation OwnerMary HutchisonThe Three Guns Public HousePullein's Rotherfield

1736 to 1738Occupation OwnerGeorge HutchisonThe Three Guns Public HousePullein's Rotherfield

1738 to 1756Occupation OwnerRichard HutchinsonThe Three Guns Public HousePullein's Rotherfield

1756 to 1759Occupation OwnerMargaret HutchinsonThe Three Guns Public HousePullein's Rotherfield

1759 to 1774Occupation OwnerMary HutchinsonThe Three Guns Public HousePullein's Rotherfield

1774 to 1805Occupation OwnerAaron WintonThe Three Guns Public HousePullein's Rotherfield

1805 to 1807Occupation OwnerWilliam WellerThe Three Guns Public HousePullein's Rotherfield

after 19th Jun 1807Occupation OwnerHenry BedwellThe Three Guns Public HousePullein's Rotherfield

1833 to 1836Occupation TenantWilliam PearlessThe Three Guns Public HousePullein's Rotherfield

1833 to 1836Occupation TenantBenjamin WickensThe Three Guns Public HousePullein's Rotherfield

The Weald is at  Database version 12.4 which has ongoing updates to the 379,932 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 244 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page