The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
About the site
E-mail
 
 
Site search
Ashdown Forest Brasted Burwash Buxted Chevening Chiddingly Chiddingstone Cowden Cranbrook Crowborough East Grinstead
East Hoathly Edenbridge Eridge Fletching Forest Row Framfield Frant Goudhurst Groombridge Hadlow Hailsham
Hartfield Hawkhurst Heathfield Hellingly Herstmonceux Hever Hildenborough Horsted Keynes Isfield Lamberhurst Laughton
Leigh Little Horsted Maresfield Mayfield Penshurst Rotherfield Rusthall Sevenoaks Southborough Speldhurst Ticehurst
Tonbridge Tunbridge Wells Uckfield Wadhurst Waldron Warbleton Westerham West Hoathly Withyham Worth More places
Census Documents
Genealogy Maps
Pictures People of note
Places of interest
St. Michael's Church    Withyham Village  Withyham  Consecrated 1766
Parish records Before
1500
1500
to
1550
1550
to
1600
1600
to
1650
1650
to
1700
1700
to
1725
1725
to
1750
1750
to
1775
1775
to
1800
1800
to
1825
1825
to
1850
1850
to
1875
1875
to
1900
1900
to
1925
1925
to
1950
1950
to
1975
1975
to
2000
After
2000

3470Christenings78236146212266337437844681233
2176Marriages6492120330172174218484386136
164Burials21381613915161424278242
 

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1810Tunbridge Wells and its Neighbourhood by Paul Amsinck and Letitia Byrnep. 76
1852Notes on the churches in the counties of Kent, Sussex and Surrey by The Rev. Arthur Hussey, M.A. ⇒ p. 306
1870A Compendious History of Sussex - Volume II. by Mark Antony Lower, M.A.p. 266
1883Pelton's Illustrated Guide to Tunbridge Wells by J. Radford Thomson, M.A. ⇒ p. 186
1902Historical Notes of Withyham, Hartfield and Ashdown Forest by C. N. Suttonp. 130
1904Highways and Byways in Sussex by E.V. Lucas ⇒ p. 398
1909English Homes and Villages (Kent & Sussex)
also published as
Tunbridge Wells and its Neighbourhood by Lady Hope ⇒ p. 100
1927The Sussex Highlands ⇒ p. 32
1939The Sackvilles of Withyham by G.R.A. Dick ⇒ p. 117

Historical records

1288 to 1291HistorySt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes
The first distinct historical mention of Withyham Church is made in the reign of King Edward I. "A grant was made to King Edward I by Pope Nicholas IV of the tenths of all benefices, to assist him in another crusade, which was meditated to relieve the Christians in the Holy Land from their Mahometan oppressors. Withyham Church was then valued at 45 marks (about £30). This taxation was begun in the year 1288 and finished in the Province of canterbury in the year 1291. It was made under the direction of John de Pontifera, Bishop of Winchester, and Oliver Sutton, Bishop of Lincoln. The Pope writing to the King, says, with regard to the tenths: 'You know that those of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland have been given to you for the relief of the Holy Land.' "

1328Occupation Rector of WithyhamWilliam BatchelorSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1328 to 1331Occupation Rector of WithyhamJordan de ManeworthSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1331 to 1338Occupation Rector of WithyhamHenry de LondonSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1338 to 1341Occupation Rector of WithyhamLawrence de WyndesoreSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1341 to 1345Occupation Rector of WithyhamWalter HorrySt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1345 to 1353Occupation Rector of WithyhamRichard PygotSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1353 to 1364Occupation Rector of WithyhamGodfredessSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1364 to 1365Occupation Rector of WithyhamWilliam ElyotSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1387 to 1403Occupation Rector of WithyhamJohn SturmystreSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1403 to 1404Occupation Rector of WithyhamThomas AylwardSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1404 to 1405Occupation Rector of WithyhamWilliam LoxleSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1405 to 1408Occupation Rector of WithyhamWilliam NortonSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1408Occupation Rector of WithyhamAbel HesillSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1412HistorySt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes
Henry IV gave the Manor of Withyham called Mounkencourt, with the advowson of the Church of Withyham, and all lands, ... for twenty years … to the Prior and Convent of the Holy Trinity at Hastings

before 1501Occupation Rector of WithyhamWilliam AugerSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1501 to 1502Occupation Rector of WithyhamWilliam GeffreySt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1555WillLeft 13 pounds 6 shillings and 8 pence for a bell for Withyham ChurchJohn BakerSt. Michael's Church

1576 to 1582Occupation Rector of WithyhamRichard GrayeSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1582 to 1589Occupation Rector of WithyhamJohn HudsonSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1589 to 1596Occupation Rector of WithyhamMaurice SackvilleSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1590 to 1598Historythe churchSutton's Historical Notes
This [The Parish of Withyham] was an extensive manor. In a survey (32-40 Elizabeth) it includes the knoll by the church, extending from Withyham towards Summerford, between the road on the one side and the river on the other, to the Manor of Fiskeridge; afterwards by Hale Farm, Blackham Common (now enclosed), Willets Farm, bounded by the Kent Water; along by Holywych, the Sussex House Farm, Holtye Common, extending a little way into the Parish of East Grinstead on the right, over to the Beeches Farm and Bassetts, towards Hartfield and to Hodore.

1596 to 1626Occupation Rector of WithyhamJohn WallonSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1626 to 1638Occupation Rector of WithyhamBrian DuppaSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1635Occupation Curate of WithyhamJohn NewmanSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1638 to 1665Occupation Rector of WithyhamCharles BeauvaisSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1665 to 1669Occupation Rector of WithyhamJohn MoulasSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1669 to 1704Occupation Rector of WithyhamIsaac BurgessSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1704 to 1722Occupation Rector of WithyhamNicolas PeningtonSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1723 to 1749Occupation Rector of WithyhamJohn SmithSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1749 to 1777Occupation Rector of WithyhamSackville Spencer BaleSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1754 to 1771Occupation Curate of WithyhamEdward BoyceSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1778 to 1836Occupation Rector of WithyhamSackville Stephens BaleSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1783West View of the Church and Parsonage at WithyhamWest View of the Church and Parsonage at Withyham, watercolour (26.8 x 37.5 cm) painted by Samuel Hieronymus GrimmSamuel Hieronymus Grimm, topographical artist© British Library Board - Shelfmark: Additional MS 5671, Item number: f. 10 (no. 14)

1809WithyhamWithyham by Paul Amsinck & engraved by Letitia ByrneLetitia ByrneAmsinck's Tunbridge Wells

1836Occupation Curate of WithyhamCharles WetherellSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1837Occupation Curate of WithyhamFrederick JeffreySt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1837Occupation Curate of WithyhamG FarleySt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1837 to 1841Occupation Rector of WithyhamWilliam DavidsonSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1839Occupation Curate of WithyhamHenry HopwoodSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1841Occupation Curate of WithyhamW. H. AndersonSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1841Occupation Curate of WithyhamJ. H. KnightSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1841Occupation Curate of WithyhamHugh PearsonSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1841 to 1865Occupation Rector of WithyhamReginald Windsor Sackville, 7th Earl De La WarrSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1843Occupation Curate of WithyhamEdward ClaytonSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1843Occupation Curate of WithyhamDavid FennSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1846Occupation Curate of WithyhamJames BarrowSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1846Occupation Curate of WithyhamReverend George Antrobus, curate of withyhamSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1850Occupation Curate of WithyhamGeorge A. TrevorSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1862Occupation Curate of WithyhamJohn S. EatonSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1865Occupation Curate of WithyhamGeorge Booth PerrySt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1865 to 1892Occupation Rector of WithyhamRev. Thomas Frederick Rudston ReadSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1867Directory entrySt. Michael's ChurchPost Office Directory
The church of St. Michael is a stone building, with square tower containing an excellent peal of 6 bells: in 1844 the interior was entirely renovated, and a new south aisle added: attached to the church, on the north-eastern side, is a private chapel, belonging to the ancient family of Sackville: here are the banners and arms of that family, beneath which is the vault, which for many centuries has been their place of burial: there are three fine monuments, executed by Nollekens, Flaxman and Chantry: in the north window, in stained glass, is the genealogy of the family, from the time of the Norman Conquest. The register dates from the year 1663. The living is a rectory, worth £700 per annum with residence, in the gift of the Earl De La Warr, and held by the Rev. Thomas Frederick Rudston Read, M.A., of University College, Oxford

1867Occupation Curate of WithyhamE. Ottway HerbertSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1869Occupation Curate of WithyhamH. B. PughSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1873Occupation Curate of WithyhamJames BeebySt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1875Occupation Curate of WithyhamP. H. BrierleySt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

c 1875Buckhurst, Balls Green, St Mary's & St Michael's, Hartfield & Withyham - c 1875Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1875 by Ordnance SurveySt Michaels Church

1876Occupation Curate of WithyhamE. D. MorleySt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1878Occupation Curate of WithyhamW. G. MinorSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1879Occupation Curate of WithyhamRichard FormbySt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1882Occupation Curate of WithyhamCharles Nassau SuttonSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1882Directory entrySt. Michael's ChurchKelly's Directory
The church of St. Michael is a stone building, chiefly in the perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, north chapel, nave, aisles, transept, south porch, and a western battlemented tower containing 6 bells, 2 dated 1674 and the rest 1715: on the north-east side is a private chapel, belonging to the ancient family of Sackville, with banners and shields of arms; beneath is the vault, which for many centuries has been their place of burial ; there are three fine monu­ments by Nollekens, Flaxman and Chantrey, and one by Cibber, of the fifth Earl of Dorset, his countess and their children; the north window exhibits, in stained glass, the inter-marriages of the family from the time of the Norman Conquest: the church was thoroughly renovated and a south aisle added in 1844. The register dates from the year 1663.

1885Occupation Curate of WithyhamS. W. WilkinSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1886Occupation Curate of WithyhamJames ParkerSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1887Occupation Curate of WithyhamJ. L. PetleySt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1889Occupation Curate of WithyhamEben MolloySt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1890HistorySt Michael and All AngelsFirmin's Guide

Withyham is about three and a half miles from Crowborough. There are two routes to it - one through Crowborough town over the Common and past Marden's Hill, the other by the Lye Green Road. This latter is perhaps the best for vehicles; along both routes the scenery is extensive and beautiful.

The church, St. Michael and All Angels, is a fine massive old building, very picturesquely situated on rising ground, with ancient gravestones, rich with mosses and weather-stains, nestled around it. It is the very ideal of a country church and churchyard.

Part of it was destroyed by lightning, and rebuilt in 1672.

There are some monuments of interest in the Dorset Chapel by Flaxman and Nollekens. The altar-tomb of white marble, in the centre of the floor, immediately arrests our attention. The recumbent youthful figure represents the son of Richard Earl of Dorset, and the figures kneeling on either side his parents, the Earl and Countess.

There are a few brasses on the walls, but there is no monument to perhaps the most illustrious of the Sackvilles, Thomas Lord Buckhurst, High-Treasurer to Queen Elizabeth, and the first Earl Dorset, a poet as well as a statesman, and joint-author of the first English Tragedy

There are a few old timbered houses in the village, and the inn, the Dorset Arms, is quite in keeping with the associations and romance of the place.

Neither is it without traditions of royalty. King Edward II attested a deed at Withyham, which is still preserved and was lately among the records in the Tower of London. This deed commanded proceedings against some foresters to be "stopt."


1891Occupation Curate of WithyhamCharles SerjeantSt. Michael's ChurchSutton's Historical Notes

1892Occupation Rector of WithyhamReverend Charles Nassau Sutton, Rector of WithyhamSt. Michael's Church

c 1900Withyham ChurchWithyham Church, Withyham photographed by G. GlanvilleSutton's Historical Notes

c 1900Withyham Church and RectoryWithyham Church and Rectory, Withyham photographed by Col. J. Warre Sill, R.E.Sutton's Historical Notes

1902HistoryChurchSutton's Historical Notes
The Rectory is beautifully situated on a knoll close to the Church, seventy two feet above the lake, commanding extensive views of the magnificent scenery of Buckhurst Park, Ashdown Forest, and Crowborough Beacon, the highest point in East Sussex. The house can be traced back to the "Barony of Buckhurst" more than three [now four] hundred years as occupying this spot. How much longer it may have stood there is unknown; but when Withyham was an alien priory, the Prior of Morteyn is described as possessing a hall, a chamber or cell, a grange, an oxstall, a stable. The hall might possibly have been the the present ancient dining hall, with stone floor, or the old house near the rectory, now a laundry.

1905Withyham ChurchWithyham ChurchPrivate collection

1911WithyhamWithyham painted by Edward MarillierSt. Michael's ChurchPrivate collection

1918Church & RectoryChurch & Rectory, Withyham photographed by H.H. Camburn, Tunbridge WellsPrivate collection

1925Church and RectoryChurch and Rectory, WithyhamPrivate collection

1936Dorset Memorial, ChurchDorset Memorial, Church, Withyham photographed by H. Camburn, Tunbridge WellsPrivate collection

1937Withyham ChurchWithyham Church painted by A.R. QuintonPrivate collection
The Weald is at  Database version 10.8 which has ongoing updates to the 372,868 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 240 books loaded in the previous version © The Weald and its contributors
Fasthosts web site ODNB British Libarary High Weald ESCIS Sussex Family History Group Sussex Record Society Sussex Archaeological Society Kent Archaeological Society Mid Kent Marriages Ancestry Genes Reunited International Genealogical Index National Archives
Top
of the
page
Fasthosts
web
site
Oxford
Dictionary
of National
Biography
British
Libarary
The High
Weald
East Sussex
Community
Information
Service
Sussex
Family
History
Group
Sussex
Record
Society
Sussex
Archaeological
Society
Kent
Archaeological
Society
David Hills
and
Gary
Samson
Ancestry Genes
Reunited
International
Genealogical
Index
National
Archives