The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
Hunton
Hunton, called more frequently in ancient deeds Huntington. A small part of this parish, being of the ancient demesne of Aylesford, is in the hundred of Larkfield; another small part is within the hundred of Maidstone, the residue being in the borough of Hunton, is in the hundred of Twyford, which borough claims a court leet of itself, where the borsholder is chosen, and the inhabitants of it owe no service to the court leet of the hundred, only at that court a constable for the hundred may be chosen out of this borough.
Hunton lies on the side of the quarry hills, the summit of which above it is the northern boundary of this parish, as well as of the Weald, consequently this parish lying below it, is within that district. The soil of it about the hill partakes of the quarry or rag stone, thinly covered with a loam or red earth, below which it changes to a stiff clay. Upon the hill adjoining to Cocks-heath there is a range of coppice wood along it, below which, midway down the hill is the seat of Burston, having a fine view southward over the Weald; the right wing of it is built of brick, ornamented with stone, and seems to be of the time of queen Elizabeth, the rest of it is much more modern. The whole seems approaching to hasty ruin, being uninhabited, the house, where the farmer inhabits, being built adjoining to it. There was a park round this seat, inclosed about King James the 1st.'s reign, which has been disparked some years, and converted into a farm. At a little distance eastward is the parsonage, a good house much improved by the present Bishop of London, who made it his summer residence whilst rector of this parish, it is now in like manner inhabited by the present rector, Lord George Murray.
extract from Hasted's History of Kent published in 1798

Parish & other records Before
1500
1500
to
1550
1550
to
1600
1600
to
1650
1650
to
1700
1700
to
1725
1725
to
1750
1750
to
1775
1775
to
1800
1800
to
1825
1825
to
1850
1850
to
1875
1875
to
1900
1900
to
1925
1925
to
1950
1950
to
1975
1975
to
2000
After
2000

67Births12819289
5Christenings1121
2Marriages2
3Deaths12
3Burials21
 
Books and other documents
Published Title, author and references
1798The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent - Volume V by Edward Hastedp. 146
1814An Historical, Topographical and Descriptive Account of the Weald of Kent by T. D. W. Dearnp. 132
1871A History of The Weald of Kent with an outline of the Early History of the County, Volume I. by Robert Furley, F.S.A.peculiar of Canterbury p. 400
1882Kelly's Directory of Kent by E. R. Kelly, M.A., F.S.S. ⇒ entry
1914Highways and Byways in Kent by Walter Jerrold with Illustrations by Hugh Thomson ⇒ p. 280

Places and properties in Hunton - a directory of homes, farms, churches, schools, inns, and other places of interest that existed prior to 1900 has been compiled from Post Office directories, Kelly's directories, Trade directories, Census data, Ordnance survey maps and books of the period
Churches, Inns,
Schools, Shops
and other places of interest
St. Mary's Church
 
Roads and Streets
No entries
 
Homes and Farms
A-L
No entries
 
Homes and Farms
M-Z
No entries

The Weald is at  Database version 10.8 which has ongoing updates to the 372,868 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 240 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page