The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
Withyham
Withyham's church and parsonage in 1783
Withyham's church and parsonage in 1783
Withyham may certainly lay claim to being one of the most picturesques and historiclly interesting villages in East Sussex. … There is the valley through which the River Medway swiftly flows; the hop gardens and orchards dotted about on the undulating ground; the picturesque Summerford Hills and ancient farmstead; the Church and Rectory standing out conspicuously on the Knole; Buckhurst, the seat of the Earl De La Warr; and the magnificent Ashdown Forest scenery as a background.
extract from Sutton's Historical Notes of Withyham
Withyham (or Withiam) is a village and parish in the East Grinstead division of Sussex, in the hundred of Hartfield, rape of Pevensey, rural deanery of East Grinstead, archdeaconry of Lewes and diocese of Chichester. Withyham is mid-way between East Grinstead and Tunbridge Wells. Withyham includes Buckhurst which was the home of the Sackvilles for over 600 years.
The population of Withyham in 1811 was 1,155; in 1841 was 1,692; in 1861 was 1,597; in 1871 was 1,970; in 1881 was 2,150; in 1891 was 2,073; in 1901 was 2,147; in 1911 was 2,479; in 1921 was 2,498; and in 1931 was 2,724.
The population of Withyham St Johns (also known as Crowborough Town) in 1891 was 716; in 1901 was 743; in 1911 was 952; in 1921 was 926; and in 1931 was 1,089. This parish of Withyham St Johns was subsequently reallocated to Crowborough.
Withyham is derived from the Old English meaning 'Withy water-meadow'
Withyham historical notes has been derived from the same sources to highlight Withyham's key events in chronological order

Parish & other records Before
1500
1500
to
1550
1550
to
1600
1600
to
1650
1650
to
1700
1700
to
1725
1725
to
1750
1750
to
1775
1775
to
1800
1800
to
1825
1825
to
1850
1850
to
1875
1875
to
1900
1900
to
1925
1925
to
1950
1950
to
1975
1975
to
2000
After
2000

6138Births3414972451492153034597901495141993114
3730Christenings78236146212266335436851798372
2234Marriages66921203321741742204843941762
214Deaths31411191614141520383415442
170Burials213816139161614242811342
 
Books and other documents
Published Title, author and references
1766The History of Tunbridge Wells by Thomas Benge Burr ⇒ p. 263
1810Tunbridge Wells and its Neighbourhood by Paul Amsinck and Letitia Byrnep. 72
1830Guide of Tunbridge Wells ⇒ p. 163
1835The History, Antiquities and Topography of the County of Sussex by Thomas Walker Horsfield, F.S.A.p. 393
1840New Guide for Tunbridge Wells by John Colbran and edited by James Phippen ⇒ p. 277
1849Historical and Architectural Notices of the Iron Works of the County of Sussex by Mark Antony Lowerp. 220
1851The Post Office Directory of Sussex by E. R. Kelly, M.A., F.S.S. ⇒ entry
1867The Post Office Directory of Sussex by E. R. Kelly, M.A., F.S.S. ⇒ entry
1870A Compendious History of Sussex - Volume II. by Mark Antony Lower, M.A.p. 264
1871The Parliamentarian Surveys of the County of Sussex by John Robert Daniel-Tyssen, F.S.A. ⇒ p. 203
1874The Post Office Directory of Sussex by E. R. Kelly, M.A., F.S.S. ⇒ entry
1882Kelly's Directory of Sussex by E. R. Kelly, M.A., F.S.S. ⇒ entry
1902Historical Notes of Withyham, Hartfield and Ashdown Forest by C. N. Suttonp. 1
1904Highways and Byways in Sussex by E.V. Lucas ⇒ p. 397
1909English Homes and Villages (Kent & Sussex)
also published as
Tunbridge Wells and its Neighbourhood by Lady Hope ⇒ p. 100
1927The Sussex Highlands ⇒ p. 33
1939The Sackvilles of Withyham by G.R.A. Dick ⇒ p. 113
2004The Manor of Duddleswell by Colin J HobbsManor records

People of note
Germaine (Sackville), Lord George
(1715 - 1795)
Parliamentarian
Rudston-Read, Reverend Thomas Frederick
(1811 - 1892)
Rector of Withyham
Sackville, Thomas
(1536 - 1608)
Statesman and poet
Sutton, Rev. Charles Nassau
(1859 - 1916)
Rector of Withyham
    

Picturesmore pictures 

Plan of Buckhurst - c 1600

Old Buckhurst Gate Tower - c 1780

South View of Viscount Sackvilles house at Stoneland - 1783

West View of the Church and Parsonage at Withyham - 1783

Shelocks near Tunbridge Wells taken in a field near Rusthall Common - 1785

Buckhurst House - 1804

Buckhurst - 1809
 

Stoneland - 1809

Withyham - 1809

Buckhurst - 1824

Buckhurst Park - 1840

Sherlocks - 1900

Old Buckhurst - c 1900

Buckhurst Tower - c 1900
 

Withyham Maps

c 1597

c 1724

c 1795

c 1825

c 1875
 

Sussex Maps

1610

1645

1695

1750

1763

1st Sept 1787

1808
 

1837

1840

1864
 

Places and properties in Withyham - a directory of homes, farms, churches, schools, inns, and other places of interest that existed prior to 1900 has been compiled from Post Office directories, Kelly's directories, Trade directories, Census data, Ordnance survey maps and books of the period
Churches, Inns,
Schools, Shops
and other places of interest
All Saints' Church, Blackham
Blackham [als Atherfolds] Mill, Blackham
Dorset Arms Inn, Withyham Village
Ham Bridge
Highfield Park
Hill Place
Mousehall Mill, Withyham Village
St. Michael's Church, Withyham Village
Sussex Oak [als Royal Oak] Inn, Blackham
Withyham National School, Station Road
Withyham Post Office and Shop, Withyham Village
Withyham Rectory, Withyham Village
 
Roads and Streets
Blackham
Cherry Gardens Hill
Ladies Mile
Lyewood Common
Motts Mill
Station Road
Withyham Village
 
Homes and Farms
A-L
Adamsland, Blackham
Alkesford Farm, Cherry Gardens Hill
Balls Green, Station Road
Beechgreen House [als Beech Place]
Blackham Common, Blackham
Blackham Court, Lyewood Common
Blackham Post Office, Blackham
Blackham Smithy, Blackham
Brick & Tile Works, Blackham
Brook Villa, Blackham
Broomfield, Motts Mill
Buckhurst Farm, Withyham Village
Buckhurst Gate Lodge, Withyham Village
Buckhurst House [als Stoneland Lodge], Withyham Village
Buckthorn, Blackham
Bush Cottage, Lyewood Common
Cherry Garden, Cherry Gardens Hill
Cottages, Cherry Gardens Hill
Cripplegate, Blackham
Duckings Farm, Withyham Village
Elm Cross, Withyham Village
Fairland Cottage, Withyham Village
Fishers [als Fidgets] Gate
Five Hundred Acre Wood,
Five Hundred Cottages, Station Road
Hale [als Hale Court, Hall] Farm, Lyewood Common
Ham Farm
Hamfield
Hendal Bridge, Cherry Gardens Hill
Hendal Farm, Cherry Gardens Hill
Holden House
Holding Farm
Hunts Farm, Ladies Mile
Little Clay Farm, Motts Mill
Little Stoneland Farm
Lodgefield Farm, Blackham
Lyewood Cottages, Lyewood Common
 
Homes and Farms
M-Z
Mill House
Motts Mill Common, Motts Mill
Motts Mill Hill, Motts Mill
New House, Blackham
New House, Withyham Village
Nore [als Gonore] Farm, Blackham
Old Buckhurst, Withyham Village
Old Farm [als Prowdes]
Parkgate, Blackham
Pit Fields Farm, Blackham
Poplar Cottage, Blackham
Pound Farm, Blackham
Railways Cottages, Blackham
Rooks Cottages
Rose Cottage
Salehurst [als Salenhurst] Farm, Blackham
School, Blackham
School House, Ladies Mile
Sherlocks Farm, Motts Mill
Snailsgate, Blackham
Stephnetts Farm, Blackham
Summerford [als Long Grange] Farm, Station Road
Summersales Farm, Blackham
Tattling Alley, Withyham Village
Toll Farm, Blackham
Tophill [als Fiskeridge, Fishreed] Farm
White Cottage, Station Road
White House, Blackham
Willets Farm, Blackham
Withyham Forge, Withyham Village
Withyham Station, Station Road
Woodlands Cottages, Blackham
Yewtree Cottages, Cherry Gardens Hill

The Weald is at  Database version 10.8 which has ongoing updates to the 372,868 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 240 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page