The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
Historical notes about Withyham
1095HistoryWithyhamSutton's Historical Notes
A document about the year 1095 mentions Wideham thrice, states that Robert Count of Mortain had given it in fee farm to Robert the Monk of St Mary of Mortain, at £7 a year
1296HistoryWithyhamSutton's Historical Notes
A subsidy roll of the reign of King Edward I contains the boroughs of Blackham and Birchden, which includes a large portion of the [Withyham] parish
c 1300HistoryWithyhamSutton's Historical Notes
The Manor of Withyham (called Mounkencourts or Munkloe) belonged in the 13th century to the Priory of Morteyn in Normandy. King Edward I in 1285, King Edward II in 1324 and King Edward III in 1337 all seized this Manor during wars with the French. The Manor was restored to the Priory of Morteyn in 1371.
1372HistoryWithyhamSutton's Historical Notes
Withyham was a cell of the Abbey of St Martin, at Tours, in France
1412HistoryWithyhamSutton's Historical Notes
Henry IV gave the Manor of Withyham called Mounkencourt, with the advowson of the Church of Withyham, and all lands, ... for twenty years … to the Prior and Convent of the Holy Trinity at Hastings
1590 to 1598HistoryWithyhamSutton's Historical Notes
This [The Parish of Withyham] was an extensive manor. In a survey (32-40 Elizabeth) it includes the knoll by the church, extending from Withyham towards Summerford, between the road on the one side and the river on the other, to the Manor of Fiskeridge; afterwards by Hale Farm, Blackham Common (now enclosed), Willets Farm, bounded by the Kent Water; along by Holywych, the Sussex House Farm, Holtye Common, extending a little way into the Parish of East Grinstead on the right, over to the Beeches Farm and Bassetts, towards Hartfield and to Hodore.
c 1597Hartfeild, Withyham, and Buckhurst Parck, The Manor of Buckhurst - c 1597Part of the maps produced in 1597 in the Buckhurst TerrierWithiham
1597 to 1598HistoryWithyhamBuckhurst Terrier
Sir John Sackville, who was sheriff of Surrey and Sussex in the reign of Henry VIII, married Margaret Boleyn, the aunt of Queen Anne Boleyn, so that his son Richard was that queen’s first cousin. This Richard Sackville was a man of outstanding ability.......He grew very rich by dealings in land in many counties, often the former possessions of suppressed chantrys and of attainted noblemen, his name appears more frequently in the Close Rolls of that period than that of any other person ............ It was jestingly said of him that his name should be Fillsack, not Sackville. He acquired the lands of the Chantry of St. Marie in 1550, those of the Fraternity of St. Katherine probably at about the same time, Tablehurst in 1559, Imberhorne in 1560, and Alchorne in 1564............... The manor of Broome, which included the greater part of the village of Hartfield, was purchased some time after 1584. Collinghurst was also in his possession at the time of his death, April 21, 1564. His only son Thomas, born in 1536, was one of the most prominent men of his time. In his earlier years a poet, he was a favourite of Elizabeth I, his second cousin.... On the 8th of June, 1567, he was knighted, and on the same day created a baron under the title of Lord Buckhurst. Alter many services to the State he was made Lord High Treasurer in May, 1599. .......Soon after succeeding to the estates at the death of his father he set about the acquisition by purchase and exchange of further manors in the vicinity of Buckhurst......The manor of Withyham, called Mounkencourts or Munkloe 1569-70; the manors of Sheffield and Tarring Peverell 1570; Ridgehill 1576; Bolebrook 1590; Lavertie 1591; Framfield in 1592; Blackham 1592; Birchden, 1595; and Bullockstown in 1585.....Sir Thomas Sackville, Lord Buckhurst, had thus in 1597 in his possession seventeen manors in north-east Sussex, including the manor of Buckhurst, as well as several others in the southern part of the rape. In view of the many recent acquisitions, and the number of leases that had been granted since 1592, it was expedient to record the seventeen in a Terrier in 1597-8
1610[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by John Norden and augmented by John SpeedWythyhamJohn Speed
The first engraved maps of the counties of Great Britain were the work of Christopher Saxton who, under the authority of the Privy Council, surveyed the English counties in Elizabethan times, from 1574 to 1578. In 1593 he was followed by John Norden who projected an ambitious scheme for a complete series of county histories. He published before his death a number of counties - Middlesex, Hertfordshire, Essex, Northampton, Cornwall, Sussex and Surrey. John Speed's map of Sussex is based upon Norden's map and was engraved by Jodocus Hondius. It occupies pages nine and ten of John Speed's Atlas entitled "The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine", is 20 1/4 inches by 15 1/4 inches in size and shows additionally an interesting plan of Chichester and a spirited representation of the Battle of Hastings.
1645[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Jan BlaeuWythyhamJan Blaeu
1695[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Robert MordenWythyhamRobert Morden
Robert Morden was a London bookseller from 1669 until his death in 1703. He specialised in the geographical field and was himself something of a cartographer and a publisher. Throughout the 17th and most of the 18th centuries, there was little distinction between the activity of book or print-selling and that of publishing: many booksellers were also printers or engravers. They undertook the sale of each others' work and often combined to meet the high cost of publishing a new map or reissue of an old atlas, even if the original plates were still available. This map was published in Brittania: a chorographical description of Great Britain and Ireland by William Camden.
c 1724Withyham, Sussex - c 1724Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1724 by Richard BudgenWithyham
1750SussexSussex by Thomas KitchinWithyhamThomas Kitchin
Thomas Kitchin, an engraver and publisher from c.1738 to 1776, held the appointment of Hydrographer to the King. His output was prolific. He engraved the maps of the British and French dominions in North America by John Mitchell (1755), which was used at the peace coucil at the end of the revolutionary war. In his later years he worked with his son (hence senior after his name in the c.1755 edition of the Small English Atlas). He died in 1784.
1756HistoryWithyhamSutton's Historical Notes
The first school in Withyham …. Was kept by the Curate of the Parish, the Rev. Edward Boyce in the year 1756. The school house was one of the cottages on what is known as School House Hill, near Duckin's Farm.
1763A New Map of [North] SussexA New Map of [North] Sussex by Thomas KitchinWithyhamThomas Kitchin
Thomas Kitchin, an engraver and publisher from c.1738 to 1776, held the appointment of Hydrographer to the King. His output was prolific. He engraved the maps of the British and French dominions in North America by John Mitchell (1755), which was used at the peace coucil at the end of the revolutionary war. In his later years he worked with his son (hence senior after his name in the c.1755 edition of the Small English Atlas). He died in 1784.
1st Sep 1787[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by John CaryWithyhamJohn Cary
John Cary, apprenticed to William Palmer in 1770, went into business in 1783 as a publisher of maps, plans and road-books. He was highly successful and is referred to as the founder of the modern English School of Cartography by H.G. Fordham
c 1795Withyham, Sussex - c 1795Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1795 by William Gardner and Thomas GreamWithyham
1808[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by G.Cole and engraved by J.RoperWythyhamG. Cole
The British atlas; comprising a series of county maps…intended to illustrate and accompany 'The beauties of England and Wales' published 1808.
c 1825Withyham, Sussex - c 1825Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1825 by Christopher and John GreenwoodWithyham
1837[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Thomas MouleWythyhamThomas Moule
Thomas Moule was a bookseller. He published a number of important works on heraldry and antiquities, including Bibliotheca heraldica Brittaniae in 1822. The English Counties delineated; or, a topographical description of England has a complete series of county maps and was published by Thomas Moule in 1837
1838CensusWithyham1838 Census
Withyham, Sussex
That part of Withyham Parish, South of the River Medway, known as Withyham Village, Buckhurst, and Balls Green.
1840[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Joshua Archer, Pentonville, LondonWithyhamDugdale
Dugdale's England and Wales Delineated
6th Jun 1841CensusWithyham1841 Census
Withyham, Sussex
All that part of the parish of Withyham which lies between the road which leads from Withyham bridge to Penns Rocks and the stream which runs from Cooks Corner to the stream which runs from Croborough Mills and the fence which incloses Croborough Warren. The district being bounded on the East by the parish of Rotherfield and on the West by the parish of Hartfield
Enumerator - Charles Hoare
6th Jun 1841CensusWithyham1841 Census
Withyham, Sussex
All that part of the parish of Withyham which lies to the north and northeast of the road leading from Withyham bridge to Penns Rocks including the house and estate of Penns Rocks
Enumerator - Thomas Patching
6th Jun 1841CensusWithyham1841 Census
Withyham, Sussex
All that part of the parish of Withyham called Croborough and which lies to the south of the stream running from Cooks Corner to the Croborough Mills stream, the remainder of the boundary formed by the fence surrounding and including Crowborough Warren
Enumerator - Thomas Cripps
6th Jun 1841CensusWithyham1841 Census
Withyham, Sussex
All that part of Withyham which lies on the North side of the River Medway
Enumerator - John Henry Farmer
1851DirectoryWithyhamPost Office Directory
WITHYHAM, or Withyam, is a parish in Hartfield Hundred, East Grinstead Union, Pevensey rape, with 9,080 acres, and a population of 1,692, assessed at £5,832.
……….
30th Mar 1851CensusWithyham1851 Census
Withyham, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Withyham which is on the North side of the River Medway including Summerford Farm, Hale Farm, Lye Wood Common, Highfields Park, Tophill, Lodgefield and Blackham.
Enumerator - Thomas Avis
30th Mar 1851CensusWithyham1851 Census
Withyham, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Withyham which is on the South side of the River Medway and on the North side of the road which leads from Withyham Bridge to Pens Rocks, including Balls Green, Duckings, Ham, Hunts and Hendal Farms, Florence, Coarselys, Groombridge Gate, Birch Den, Motts Mill and Pens Rocks.
Enumerator - John Avis
30th Mar 1851CensusWithyham1851 Census
Withyham, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Withyham which is bounded on the West by the Parish of Hartfield and which lies on the South side of the road leading from Withyham to Pens Rocks and which is bounded on the South by that part of the parish called Crowborough and Crowborough Warren including the Hamlets, Rectory of Withyham, Buckhurst Park, Buckhurst Farm, Fishers Gate, part of the 500 Acres Wood, Friars Gate, Grubbs Farm, Fords Fields, Cooks Corner, Gillridge, Summersales, Lye Green and Plume of Feathers, etc.
Enumerator - Thomas Rickard
30th Mar 1851CensusWithyham1851 Census
Withyham, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Withyham which lies on the South side of the stream which runs from Cook's Corner to Friars Gate including the whole of Crowborough Warren, Crowborough Mills, St John's Chapel, Alms Houses and School, and all that part of the parish called Crowborough.
Enumerator - Richard Martin, St Johns
1864East Sussex with the addition of the RailwaysEast Sussex with the addition of the Railways by Mark Antony LowerWithyhamLower's Sussex
Mark Antony Lower, son of Richard Lower, born 14th July 1813 in Heathfield, school master in the early 1830s at East Hoathly, Heathfield and Alfriston; and at Lewes from 1835 to 1867; and at Seaford 1867-1871. He then moved to London where he died in 1876.
He was a founder member of the Sussex Archeological Society and a prolific contributor to the collections of the society.
He published
1867DirectoryWithyhamPost Office Directory
WITHYHAM (or WITHIAM) is a parish, 8 miles south-cast from East Grinstead, and 7 south-west from Tunbridge Wells, in the Eastern division of the county, Hartfield hundred, East Grinstead union and county court district, Pevensey rape, Chichester diocese, and Lewes arch­deaconry.
..............
The area of the parish is 8,086 acres, and the population in 1861 was 1,597.
..............
1874DirectoryWithyhamPost Office Directory
WITHYHAM (or WITHIAM) is a parish and station on the railway from East Grinstead to Tunbridge Wells, 8 miles south-east from East Grinstead, and 7 south-west from Tunbridge Wells, in the Eastern division of the county, Hartfield hundred, East Grinstead union and county court district, Pevensey rape, Chichester diocese, and Lewes arch­deaconry.
.............
The area of the parish is 8,086 acres; gross estimated rental, £10,825 ; rateable value, £9,934 ; and the population in 1871 was 1,970.
...................
c 1875Buckhurst, Balls Green, St Mary's & St Michael's, Hartfield & Withyham - c 1875Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1875 by Ordnance SurveyWithyham
3rd Apr 1881CensusWithyham1881 Census
Withyham, Sussex
Withyham Village including Buckhurst Park, Duckings, Dorset Arms Inn, Balls Green, Beech Park, Highfields Park, Blackham and Lyewood Common
3rd Apr 1881CensusWithyham1881 Census
Withyham, Sussex
North East of Withyham including Groombridge, Glenandred, Leywoods, Motts Mill, Penns Rocks, Sherlocks Farm, Alksford Farm, Hendal Farm and Hunts Farm
3rd Apr 1881CensusWithyham1881 Census
Withyham, Sussex
South of Withyham including Lye Green, Friars Gate, Half Moon Inn, Crowboro Warren, Mardens Hill, Crowboro Town, Coopers Arms, St Johns Vicarage and Church, Cooks Corner, Two Chimneys Baptist Chapel, Hoadleys Farm, Adds Farm, Hole Farm, Gillridge Farm and Summersales
1882DirectoryWithyhamKelly's Directory
WITHYHAM (or WITHIAM) is a parish and station on the railway from East Grinstead to Tunbridge Wells, 8 miles south-east from East Grinstead and 7 south-west from Tunbridge Wells, in the Eastern division of the county, Hartfield hundred, East Grinstead union and county court district, Pevensey rape and rural deanery of Pevensey fourth division, Chichester diocese and Lewes archdeaconry.
...........
TThe area is 8,086 acres; gross estimated rental £11,601; rateable value, £10,196 ; and the population in 1871 was 1,970 and in 1881, 2,150.
..............
1890HistoryWithyhamFirmin's Guide

Withyham is about three and a half miles from Crowborough. There are two routes to it - one through Crowborough town over the Common and past Marden's Hill, the other by the Lye Green Road. This latter is perhaps the best for vehicles; along both routes the scenery is extensive and beautiful.

The church, St. Michael and All Angels, is a fine massive old building, very picturesquely situated on rising ground, with ancient gravestones, rich with mosses and weather-stains, nestled around it. It is the very ideal of a country church and churchyard.

Part of it was destroyed by lightning, and rebuilt in 1672.

There are some monuments of interest in the Dorset Chapel by Flaxman and Nollekens. The altar-tomb of white marble, in the centre of the floor, immediately arrests our attention. The recumbent youthful figure represents the son of Richard Earl of Dorset, and the figures kneeling on either side his parents, the Earl and Countess.

There are a few brasses on the walls, but there is no monument to perhaps the most illustrious of the Sackvilles, Thomas Lord Buckhurst, High-Treasurer to Queen Elizabeth, and the first Earl Dorset, a poet as well as a statesman, and joint-author of the first English Tragedy

There are a few old timbered houses in the village, and the inn, the Dorset Arms, is quite in keeping with the associations and romance of the place.

Neither is it without traditions of royalty. King Edward II attested a deed at Withyham, which is still preserved and was lately among the records in the Tower of London. This deed commanded proceedings against some foresters to be "stopt."

5th Apr 1891CensusWithyham1891 Census
Withyham, Sussex
Boundary All that part of the parish of Withyham which lies on the North side of the highway leading from Withyham Village to Ham Farm including Ham Farm House
Contents This district includes Blackham, Willietts Farm, Snails Gate, Highfield Park, Beech Park, Lyewood Common, The Railway Station, Balls Green, also the village of Withyham, Duckens Farm, Old Buckhurst, The Rectory House and Cottages, Fishers Gate and Cottages, The Keepers and other Cottages in the Five Hundred with the exception of the lodge at the Top, and all that part of Withyham Parish which is included in Buckhurst Park with the exception of the Lodgegate Cottage occupied by Wm. Holmes Park Keeper and the house and cottages opposite Lye Green
The whole in the parliamentary division of East Grinstead
5th Apr 1891CensusWithyham1891 Census
Withyham, Sussex
Boundary All that part of the Parish of Withyham which lies to the East of the Highway leading fron the top of School House Hill to Groombridge, on the South by the main road leading from School House Hill to Penns Rocks, and which is bounded on the East by the Parish of Rotherfield from Penns Rocks to Groombridge.
Contents This district includes Hunts Farm, Holdings, Hendall Farm, Tatling Farm, Florence House, and all that part of Groombridge which is called the New Town, including the Railway Station, also all the houses on both sides of the main road leading from Groombridge to the entrance gate to Penns Rocks including Motts Mill Hamlet, Shelocks Farm, Leyswood, Penns Rocks House and Farm, and Glen Andred.
The whole in the parliamentary division of East Grinstead
5th Apr 1891CensusWithyham1891 Census
Withyham, Sussex
Boundary All that part of the Parish of Withyham which lies to the East and South East of the highway leading from Lye Green to Maresfield including all the houses from the entrance to Penns Rocks to Greenwood Gate on both sides of the road
Contents this District includes the whole of the Ecclesiastical District of St. Johns Crowborough, Friars Gate, Lye Green, Park Grove, Gilridge, Home's Lodge, Park Cottages, and the Lodge at the top of the Five Hundred acres wood, Greenwood Gate, and all that part of Crowborough Warren which is in Withyham Parish, also all the houses right and left of the main road leading from Lye Green to Crowborough Cross
The whole in the parliamentary division of East Grinstead
1904ReflectionsWithyhamHighways & Byways

Between Withyhanm and Hartfield in the north, and Crowborough Beacon and Wytch Cross in the south, is some of the finest open country in Sussex, where one may walk for hours and meet no human creature. Here are silent desolate woods - the Five Hundred Acre Wood, under Crowborough, chief of them - and vast wastes of undulating heath, rising here and there to great heights crowned with fir trees, as at Gill's Lap. A few enclosed estates interrupt the forest's open freedom, but nothing can tame it. Sombre dark heather gives the prevailing note, but between Old Lodge and Pippinford Park I once came upon a green and luxuriant valley that would not have been out of place in Tyrol; while there is a field near Chuck Hatch where in April one may see more dancing daffodils than ever Wordsworth did.

The Weald is at  Database version 10.8 which has ongoing updates to the 372,868 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 240 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page